Cape Town - A fire has gutted an informal structure in Kensington in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The City’s Fire and Rescue spokesperson Theo Layne said: “Fire and rescue services responded at around 00:59 to a structural fire in Lugmag Ave in Kensington.”
Two wood and iron structures were destroyed, 1 adult male sustained fatal burns, while 1 resident was left displaced. Layne said the probable cause of the fire could be due to an unattended candle.
In a separate incident on Tuesday in Mitchells Plain, 2 children were killed after a fire gutted their home.
The little boy and girl died when the blaze gutted the wooden structure where they were sleeping. Earlier this month, five children died in a shack fire in Philippi, and a police investigation was launched after President Cyril Ramaphosa expressed sadness.
With winter peaking in, it usually brings a spike in shack fires as many informal settlements residents rely on paraffine and heaters to keep them warm.