Top cop Charl Kinnear’s murder case transferred to Bellville court
Share this article:
Cape Town - The trial of Zane Killian, charged with murdering top cop Charl Kinnear, has been transferred to the Bellville Regional Court for the start of his bail application for safety concerns.
Killian made his fourth appearance in court yesterday, and the dates for the bail application have been set for October 26, 27 and 30.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the matter of the State versus Killian, who has been charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder and unlawful interception of communication, had been transferred to Bellville Regional Court 4.
Ntabazalila said the matter had been transferred following concerns that were raised over security around Bishop Lavis Magistrate’s Court.
“After all parties agreed that the matter needs to be moved from that court, the State was tasked with securing a new venue for the bail application,” Ntabazalila said.
He said late last Friday, the State was advised by the president of the regional court that a new venue had been secured.
Bishop Lavis residents recently signed a petition created by the Bishop Lavis Community Policing Forum (CPF), calling for bail to be denied to Killian.
The forum’s deputy chairperson, Amanda Davids said they were at least happy with how the case was handled by the court.
“We expected it to be transferred to another court. As the CPF we will keep on fighting for no bail,” said Davids.
Kinnear, whose funeral was held two weeks ago, was shot and killed outside his home on September 18.
It was alleged to have been a hit, and that Killian was believed to have traced Kinnear through his phone.
Killian, from Springs, owns a tracking and investigation company. The former rugby player was arrested in Gauteng on September 23.