Bus drivers and other staff employed by the MyCiTi bus operating companies involved in the unprotected strike action stormed the Civic Centre yesterday morning. Picture: Armand Hough African News Agency (ANA)
Bus drivers and other staff employed by the MyCiTi bus operating companies involved in the unprotected strike action stormed the Civic Centre yesterday morning. Picture: Armand Hough African News Agency (ANA)
Cape Town - The City has been granted a court order against the MyCiTi bus drivers participating in an unprotected and violent strike that has resulted in severe disruptions of the service over the past four days.

The Western Cape High Court last night granted the City an urgent interdict against the striking workers, preventing them from intimidating, harassing or assaulting MyCiTi passengers and staff, as well as preventing them from damaging MyCiTi stations, depots or buses; and gathering at, or coming closer than 100 metres to MyCiTi stations, depots or buses.

Mayoral committee member for transport and urban development Brett Herron said: “We trust that the strikers will abide by the order, and will stop intimidating and threatening their colleagues who are not participating in the wildcat strike that has been orchestrated by the EFF for their own narrow political interests.”

The striking workers are employed by the Vehicle Operating Companies, that’s contracted by the City to operate the MyCiTi service.

The workers downed tools on Monday and have been protesting outside the Civic Centre. They have called on Herron to address them on their demands on a number of occasions.

Bus drivers and other staff employed by the MyCiTi bus operating companies involved in the unprotected strike action stormed the Civic Centre yesterday morning. Video: Armand Hough African News Agency (ANA)
“I want to state upfront that I have been available all week long to address the striking workers, but on the condition that this engagement happens through their legitimate  representatives, namely the unions who represent the employees in the workplace,” he said.

The EFF have intervened and have been trying to engage with Herron and the bus drivers leadership. Talks broke down earlier this week after a meeting the leadership had with the EFF, Herron and bus companies. They refused to engage with the EFF present in the meeting.
 
Some of the MyCiTi bus routes are, however, still not operational. Herron said monthly ticket holders will be reimbursed with the number of days that they could not make use of the service.

@MarvinCharles17


Cape Argus